Shine On Project Brings Hope of Treating Hemangiosarcoma Cancer in Golden Retrievers -- Featured in the Summer 2017 issue of the Golden Retriever Update, courtesy of Purina Pro Plan.
Mya's Tale of Hope -- Learn how a diagnosis of osteosarcoma didn't slow Mya down, and how treatment options are helping dogs diagnosed with this disease have more quality time.
What Dogs Are Teaching Us About Cancer -- Learn about One Health and how canine cancer research not only benefits our dogs, but their people, too.
Breakthroughs in Canine Lymphoma Research -- Learn how CHF-funded research is helping scientists better understand lymphoma in dogs and the implication for human medicine.
Canine Cancer Podcasts and Webinars
- Listen to Dr. Diane Brown discuss the AKC Canine Health Foundation's focus on research in prevention, early diagnosis, and treatment of all cancers in dogs. A 2019 matching funds initiative up to $250,000.
Watch this exciting free webinar on demand! Original Air Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 8:00 pm EDT:
Update on Canine Hemangiosarcoma with Dr. Douglas H. Thamm, VMD, DACVIM (oncology). Dr. Thamm will discuss clinical presentation, staging, therapy and prognosis in canine hemangiosarcoma, as well as recent findings about the biology, early diagnosis, and new treatment strategies for this disease. This webinar is sponsored by CHF and VetVine.
Cancer Immunotherapy: Basic Concepts and Strategies for Improving Treatment Outcomes with Dr. Timothy M. Fan, Associate Professor, Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. This webinar is sponsored by CHF and VetVine.
Lymphoma: The State of the Disease in Dogs and How Epigenetics May Open Future Doors with Dr. Jeffrey N. Bryan, University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine. This webinar is sponsored by CHF and VetVine.
The Cytogenomic Landscape of Canine Cancer with Dr. Matthew Breen, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine
Canine Hemangiosarcoma:How Much Do We Really Know and When Will We Find A Cure? with Dr. Jaime Modiano, University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine
2014 Osteosarcoma Research Update with Dr. Kerstin Lindblad-Toh and Dr. Elinor Karlsson
What to Expect When You Visit a Veterinary Oncologist with Dr. Rachel Reiman
The Future of Cancer Research, with Dr. Bruce Smith, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine
Hemangiocarcinoma Research, with Dr. Jaime Modiano, University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine
Osteosarcoma Research, with Dr. Kerstin Lindblad-Toh, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard University
Cancer Stem Cells with Dr. Tim O'Brien, University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine
Ongoing Oncology Research Updates
Hemangiosarcoma: Learn about an exciting new grant that aims to improve outcomes for this form of cancer.
AKC Canine Health Foundation Canine Cancer Research
Since 1995 CHF has funded over $12 million in canine cancer research. These 207 research grants have provided breakthroughs in treatment options and diagnosis and have helped scientists study cancer at the cellular level, allowing veterinarians to diagnose cancer earlier and treat it more effectively. CHF-funded research also has a One Health impact, extending beyond dogs with an application to human cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Canine cancer research is a major concern of our supporters. Currently, about one third of CHF’s grant funding concerns various types of canine cancers.
How You Can Help
You can help further canine cancer research by making a donation to CHF. Your gift will help us continue to build on the important research already in progress, and bring about better treatments, more accurate diagnoses, and improved understanding about the mechanisms that cause disease.
Additional Canine Cancer Articles
- Hope for Diagnosing and Treating Histiocytic Malignancies in Dogs (01/06/2020)
- AKC Canine Health Foundation Celebrates Matched Canine Cancer Research Donations (09/27/2019)
- The Cattle Dog That Could (08/27/2019)
- AKC Canine Health Foundation's Canine Cancer Research Initiative Receives Champion Sponsorship from Kennel Club of Philadelphia (05/20/2019)
- AKC Canine Health Foundation Marks Pet Cancer Awareness Month with Investments in Canine Cancer Research Initiative (04/30/2019)
- Exploring the Landscape of Immunotherapy for Canine Osteosarcoma (04/15/2019)
- American German Shepherd Dog Charitable Foundation and AKC Canine Health Foundation Join Efforts for Canine Hemangiosarcoma Research (12/21/2018)
- New Treatment Strategies for Canine Mammary Tumors (10/15/2018)
- Flat-Coated Retriever Foundation and Golden Retriever Foundation Add Matching Funds for Canine Hemangiosarcoma Research (09/19/2018)
- Joint Collaboration to Fight Aggressive Form of Canine Cancer (08/03/2018)
Help Future Generations of Dogs
Participate in canine health research by providing samples or by enrolling in a clinical trial. Samples are needed from healthy dogs and dogs affected by specific diseases.